Ansel Adams and the Sublime


This week, we went outside and photographed what we considered to be pastoral or sublime landscapes on campus. I saw both of these views. While both of these were present, I feel as if the most interesting view that I saw was the landscapes that had elements of both. This is an interesting push and pull situation because the two themes in painting and art are so very different. The photo inserted is an example; it has such high contrast, yet it is somehow peaceful at the same time. I don't know if it is just me, but the ideas of sublime and pastoral hold such different places in my mind--probably because I have studied them so much. 
    Someone I learned about this week was Ansel Adams. While it may be hard to believe, I had never heard of this photographer before. Seeing his photos was quite amazing, and learning some of his techniques was enlightening as a photographer. For example, what f-stop he was using on what exposure, along with how he was getting his range of value through what he called "the zone system." It was really impressive to see his photo of the Grand Tetons (even though of course I am biased) and how he succeeded in getting the entire value range from the darkest of darks to lightest of lights. I also agree with the video in the fact that it is extremely difficult to increase contrast in the mid tones, but he still manages it.  
    I made the connection of Ansel Adam's photography with my pillars chemistry class. As you may know, there is a good deal of chemistry that goes on in the early photographer's work. With the digital cameras nowadays it is not as much so, but back then it was an entire process of development with an emulsion in the film. Some of my classmates in my mixed media class have developed photos "the old way" and they have said it is a very difficult, precise, and messy process. However, I have seen these photos in critiques. I must say that they are quite charming; they have a completely different quality to them than normal digitally printed photos. 

Comments

Popular Posts