Lee State Park Visit

 Rebecca and I went to Lee State Park on
Photo 1
February 19. It was quite chilly, as we left Coker at 9 am. The sky was overcast. I only have 2 pictures with Rebecca in the frame; we missed the detail of needing an identifying photo showing us there.

The park "instructs" us through signage near an important place most of the time. One example of an educational sign was this one--which was about hurricane Hugo. I found this one really interesting; it was talking about how the tops of the trees were knocked off. I actually took a photo of this, as I thought that the trees trying to grow back from their abrupt snap at the top was interesting. If you look closely at Photo 3, you can see the top of the large tree is a stub with different smaller branches trying to grow back. 
Photo 2
Photo 3
      
photo 4
The park guides in many ways. The most obvious of these is signage; there are other ways that it leads our attention though. For example, the way the paths are laid out and other structural choices. There was also a sign that was right next to the visitors' center explaining the "top 5 things to do" in the park. I found it amusing that one of these choices was to ride on horseback!
While this park was quite small, there were little hints of the surrounding areas in the environment. The most obvious one was the main board in the middle of the parking lot. This had multiple smaller informational papers posted in the glass about places to visit in the surrounding areas. Photo 4 is an example of one of the papers that were posted showing the attractions.
We decided to start by checking out the visitor's center. Of course, this was closed. After that, Rebecca and I meandered around, looking at the general signage around the open area of the park and checking out the other structures. The last thing we ended up doing was going down the trails and looking at the different things to see down there (this is where I saw photos 2 and 3). I felt as if the experience was an open one. If I was an experienced hiker, I would have probably just headed to the trails after briefly grabbing a map. 
Speaking of which--if I was an experienced hiker or cyclist, I feel as if I would be moderately satisfied with this park. I say this because Rebecca and I saw a few longer trails, but also many of those were for horseback riding. Overall, it was a decent little park to go to. Another thing I wanted to mention but a question that didn't fit with was the "recycle garden." I saw this as a very cute little activity mainly geared toward children that taught some good skills: first off, it teaches them to reuse items that they have around them, along with being creative. 

Comments

Popular Posts