Stephen Mather, Horace Alright, and more!


This week, I saw photos of Stephen Mather's so-called "Mather Mountain Party." This impacted me because it shows how Mather tried to persuade his wealthier friends to become more environmentally friendly. You can see in the photo that there are even tablecloths! This is quite the feat, considering they are in the wilderness. I think that this was important because it shows that in order to get a point across, you may have to cater to someone else's needs or wants. 


 I learned in this week's content about Stephen Mather and Horace Albright's teamwork and friendship as well. This was an important idea because the two colleagues were like two sides of a coin; it was necessary for them to be together for the function they were trying to achieve. While Mather had the funds and charisma, Albright had the legal smarts and some connections in the government as well. I think this is important to remember because the relationships that you create throughout your life could become extremely important later on. 

A connection I made from this week's work to a pillars class was the idea of demand from my microeconomics class. I say this because we discussed Mather's background in advertising and how he created a demand for borax, which led to him becoming more wealthy. This is an obvious connection between the two. 

Comments

Popular Posts